Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sicky McSick

I sit here at the computer, when I should be at church, because I am sick.  Actually this is the first time in 48 hours that I have been upright for more than 15 minutes.  I hate being sick.  I hate it when my body revolts and goes on strike.  I hate it that something that is so small as to only be seen under a microscope can multiply so rapidly that it could send me to the hospital within 24 hours.

I actually didn't have to go to the hospital, but if I wouldn't have left school early on Friday, I would have been looking at an overnight stay with some VERY high-powered antibiotics.  As it was, I felt like crap, tried to tough it out at school, and then realized that I couldn't make it.  I came home and then was going to see if sleep would help.  As I started thinking, I realized that if I didn't go to the doctor, I was going to have to go to the hospital. (which would cost $$$$$)  So I called my doctor's office (have I mentioned how awesome she is?), and they were able to squeeze me in. 

I thought I had a kidney/bladder infection, and guess what? I did.  I find out the official name of the culprit tomorrow, but he's a nasty little bugger.  My left kidney was doing the cha-cha to some serious music and felt as big as a football.  I've had something like this before, and it was a bladder infection on steriods, so I'm pretty sure that's what it is this time, too.  I went straight to bed after seeing the doctor, then became violently ill before remembering that I still had some muscle relaxers left over from my car accident.  I took one of those, got the ol' kidney to stop dancing, and then slept all night long.  Then when I woke up on Saturday, I took my 2nd antibiotic and continued to sleep my way through the day, the afternoon, and the night, getting up only to go to the bathroom and finally after a 24-hour fast, eat a simple dinner.  Then I...slept again.  You'd think with all of that sleep that I'd not need any more, but this little bug has knocked me for a loop.

Anyway, I'm sitting here right now marveling at the fact that I've been able to sit up this long, and thinking that I still feel like an NFL tackling dummy.  I can still feel the kidney throbbing, but it's not as big or as bad, just really sore.  I'm sorry I'm not in church right now, but know that I still need to recover.  We're supposed to help wrangle kids at the church super bowl party tonight, and I want to be there, but it's gonna be a stretch.  I hope I can get rid of enough of this to be able to be in public.  I just HATE being sick.  I'm ready to get back to just dealing with PCOS, which while it is annoying and bothersome, doesn't make me FEEL sick. 

1 comment: