Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Starting the New Year Off On The *Correct* Foot

It's a new year, and I've decided that I'm done being the victim of my circumstances and whining about everything.  Soooooo, I'm making changes that hopefully I can live with and can help me be a better me.

I started back working out tonight---and I feel great!  My legs are totally rubbery, but I got to work off some of the stress I aquired from working with a student who chooses to do absolutely nothing when he's capable of it.  It's sad to see a Jr. High student fail, but he just sits and throws a fit when you make him pick up a pencil and write--we've tried everything under the sun to get him to work, but he just wants to do the fun stuff and have me do all of his "work".  Yeah, that's gone over real well, especially since I work in this low-functioning special ed room where we have kids with real disabilities who are working their patooties off to try to complete work at half the level he was born with.  Urrrgghh.  Anyway, I redirected my angst at the workout, and have relieved some of that stress.

As I was finishing up, I decided to weigh myself----and SURPRISE!!!  I've lost 5 pounds since my car accident!!  I'm all kinds of happy about it, and I want to continue this success.  I know that my health will be better if I weigh less, and I'll have a more sympathetic doctor if I do, so I want to get started with this journey before I see my new doctor.  I'm calling tomorrow to set up the first appointment.  I'm really apprehensive about it, and don't want to get laughed out of the door because of my weight.

My other big thing right now is that I am wanting to make a home-cooked meal for my husband and myself every night.  I've done well with that so far, but tonight we're just eating leftovers so that we're not wasting food.  So far this week, we've had baked *fried* chicken with mashed potatoes, chicken alfredo with baked chicken, sloppy joes and fries, baked spaghetti, and we've been eating on a chocolate cake all week.  It's not low-cal food, but it's lower-calorie than fast food, and we're cutting down on fried food.  I'm also trying to eat more fruit and veggies, so I'm foregoing the cake most nights in favor of a giant apple with a bit of homeade fruit dip.  I can cook, and I love cooking, so why not use my talents?

I'm thinking that the home-baked stuff plus walking all over campus with my students plus working out 3-5 times a week plus taking my Metformin should make me lose some weight.  It seems the *correct* way to start my new year.  I'd say it's the RIGHT foot to start off on, but I'm left-handed and left-footed, so I'm really starting my year off on the left foot in order to be right.  Right? (I'm obviously feeling better since I'm back to puns and humor!)

So, off to cook and crochet and read and study and help my students I go----LEFT foot forward!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment