Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Miracle of Miracles

Right now I'm neck deep in a community theatre production of "Fiddler on the Roof".  I was picked to be the musical director, so I'm teaching all the songs, working with the soloists, putting together a mini-orchestra, and working with the choreographer....it's a ton of work, but it's so much fun!!!

Anyway, the title of this post is the title of one of the songs from the musical.  The song is basically a recounting of all of the big stories in the Old Testament where God shows Himself to the Israelites in a miraculous way, and the character singing the song equates getting to marry the girl of his dreams to those big miracles of long ago.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll........I can totally agree with that character.  We have been given an opportunity that is no less of a miracle, and if God continues to keep this door open, it will give us a chance to grow our family.

A very dear friend of mine from college, someone I always admired, but never felt in her league, has offered us a miracle!  This friend and her husband also slogged through the marshes of infertility, thankfully not with PCOS, but an exhaustive and brutal journey nonetheless.  Through the miracle of modern-day medicine and IVF, they have been blessed with three of the most. adorable. children. ever.

She contacted me about a month and a half ago with a dilemma they had. (I use the word dilemma, but in reality, it was a blessing!)  They still had two embryos that were frozen from their last transfer.  Their clinic would let them donate those embryos, and they did not want those teensy, tiny lives to perish, but they also wanted them to go to someone they knew.  Enter me and my husband.  I was asked if we would consider this as a path to parenthood.

Talk about a miracle!!!!  My husband and I stayed up until the wee hours of the night (OK, it was midnight, but since I had to get up at 5 in the morning to go to work, that counted as "the wee hours of the night"!) discussing and praying and hoping and praying and discussing.  We were at an iron door in our pursuit of parenthood.  We did not qualify for fostering/adoption because of where we live, my body was still refusing to work, and we had no options of moving to a better location.  We had just been treading water, barely keeping our heads up, living without LIVING.  It was kind of a forced resignation; I was in a holding pattern--the same holding pattern I have been in for the last 4 years.  If you were to see me in public, you'd probably comment on how I have adjusted to child-free living and how it's such a shame I don't have any little ones because God has blessed me with a "mother's heart" (Yes, I still have people telling me these things--I've learned the smile and nod technique quite well)

Anyway, I contacted my friend again and practically screamed (online, anyway) YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!  Words weren't right for this---how do you put into words the fact that my husband's eyes lit up with hope for the first time in years; that I felt like every prayer had been answered; that I was seeing the world in color again?

So here's where we are:  I'm going to meet with my friend to go over what exactly everything will cost; if we can go through with this, it will require a trip to Illinois, which we could pull off over Christmas break; if we can't do this in the next 8 months, we will need to help them pay the $500 storage fee; I have GOT to get all my body issues straightened out and talk with my GP about what all has to be done here so I can have this opportunity; and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY, PRAY, PRAY...

Miracle of miracles, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment