Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A *Normal* Day in the Life of Me's been a while since I posted.  I promise that I didn't fall off the edge of the world, but it's been close.  My summer ended in a whirlwind, and then I jumped into the school year with both feet.

Sometimes as a teacher, you approach the new year kinda like dipping your toe in the water.  Other times you enthusiastically jump in with an Olympic-sized dive.  Then, if you're really a glutton for punishment, you do what I did this year:  you say yes to just about anything you can fit in.  For some who choose that option, it's all about the extra money that comes in; for others it's about filling the hours to the max.  For me?  Well, it's because I want to do my best so that this school will hire me as a teacher next year, AND because I'm a sucker for wanting the best for my Sped kids.  What have I gotten myself into?

Well, I (the perpetual night owl who loves her nightly dramas on TV) am currently waking up at 4:45-5:00 AM (as in pitch dark, see the stars for another 2 hours kinda early), then leaving my house by 5:30 to get to school by 6:00 (we're looking at moving so that I can do a bit of sleeping in at some point in the future--more on that in another post).  I then hop on board the ol' yellow school bus at 6:15 AM and ride for an hour and a half so that I can help a student get on the bus and make sure that this student doesn't cause any behavior problems.  (Student is doing great!!!!  I've gotten lots of compliments on the good behavior, b/c that was NOT the case last year with another aide---I'm gonna bank on it being the compassion I have and the fact that I know ASL, as well as the whole "licensed, certified teacher" thing I have going on)

Then I spend the whole day at school where I am the only middle school aide in a middle school of approximately 320 kids.  I just keep hopping all day long.  Then I spend lots of quality time with my *favorite* student who daily tells me that he/she hates me and that I'm a jerk and a moron (not joking, but have you noticed that there are some words, when daily or hourly repeated, that start sounding really funny?  I do a good job of keeping from giggling when this student says these things---I just keep documenting it and telling him/her to get back to work.

Then I get on the bus for the ride home, get dropped off at 4:30, and then drive the 1/2 hour home.  I take my shower, grab a tiny bite to eat, and then go to bed by 7:30-8:00. (which means that I'm not watching ANY of my favorite shows---I have to catch up on Saturdays--when I'm home!) 

Needless to say, I'm pooped by the end of each day, but I hope it pays off for me by the end of the year.  I've got to go--it's almost time to go to bed, and I need to finish using the Internet tonight!  See you tomorrow for the next exciting installment of my life!

1 comment:

  1. I've really missed your posts, Ranae! I'm glad to hear things are going well, but you sound busy. Update every now and again so we know you're ok...alright?